Monday, March 16, 2009

The Lenghts Some Men Will Go To.

Well it had to happen sooner than later I suppose.
Yesterday we had our first trip to the Apollo Hospital in Chennai. And no, it wasn't with Mac after having stuck something up his nose or after having drunk some poison. Andrew decided he had enough shopping at Spencer Plaza and a trip the the hospital sounded like a better plan. A kidney stone attack will bring down even the biggest, bravest man and this one was a goody. We called ahead to our doctor and he in turn called the hospital to inform them we were on our way.
Pleasantly surprised, we wandered in and were shown straight to a bed in Emergency. The doctor came and saw him and ordered a Ultrasound and some pain relief. She was keen to get a line in but Andrew thought the idea of a needle was not on and asked for some oral pain relief. He thought that having a drip in might make him too immobile...... And where did he think he would be trotting off to???????? So they got the line in while someone else escorted me to registration. At this stage I was thinking this was too good to be true. Then they said I would need to make a payment as a deposit for the care he would be given. Ok, this is when they need to pick me up off the floor, but no, Rs5000 ($150) was all they would need for the time being.
Once I was escorted back to Andrew and found that he was resting and the pain relief had started kicking in we then waited to be taken to have the ultrasound. Half an hour later that was done and no stone to be seen, may need to have a CT scan. Was told he could have already passed it and they would send for the urologist. What good service.... The urologist arrived and didn't see the need for the CT, Andrew was comfortable and the pain was under control. We could go home, REALLY? Madame you just need to go and settle the bill. Oh, ok, this is when things are about to turn pear shaped. But no, another Rs1700 ($51) was all they required (and a 10 min chat with the guy in accounts about where we where from and why we where here and the cute little Indian woman that was sitting next to me telling me I was lovely as she was rubbing my arm) and we were out of there. Already????? No long drawn out sitting waiting for hours, this can't possibly be an Indian run hospital.
The kids meanwhile had been driven home and Noeleen had then fed and tucked into bed by the time we got home. We are so lucky to have she and Graeme here to help us out.
Andrew commented in the hospital how nice and quiet it was with no kids fighting and whining, my response to that was,
"The things You do for a bit of peace and quiet!!"

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Well maybe Australia should take a leaf out of India's hospital system??? That is amazing. When I started reading your blog I must admit this was not what I thought you were going to say, considering all your other trials & tribulations in India.
Glad to hear all is well, and that you were both treated lovingly.

The Low Family said...

Hi Megan, what an exciting day that must have been or you all. I hope that Andrew is Ok and there is no recurrence of the dreaded 'Attack of the Kidney Stone'. I believe that Andrew can say that he knows what child birth is like now!!
As you said,the lengths one goes to for peace and quiet.Way to go Andrew!
What a blessing it is to have Noelleen and Graham, your own personal angels!
Love to all, Karyn