Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Not So Spectacular Day

Yesterday we headed back to the Eye Hospital for Mac's follow up. Now I am just plain confused.
The Doctor retested him and now says he needs Bifocal's to help with his "Accommodative Esotropia" vision problem and to help turn the eye back to normal, this along with patching his good eye for 2 hours a day will eventually mean that he will eventually grow out of his glasses. She has really contradicted herself from one visit to the next and this leaves my confidence in her diagnosis shattered.
I then went on the hunt for frames to suite bifocal's for a little person, that were not brown or orange or pink or purple, he is a boy and as far as I know boys don't wear pink or purple frames. Remember we are in India and orange and brown are the 2 most favourite colours here.

So I head into 4 different optical shops to be told that,

  • this is not the prescription for a child,
  • oh he must have had eye surgery,
  • one guy even got a flashlight out and looked in Mac's eyes to check he hadn't had surgery because he didn't believe me
  • and the last one that pushed me over the edge was that I must have given them my script.

NO, I don't wear glasses.....I am here to get glasses for my son, only to be told that children don't usually wear bifocal's and the frames need to be big enough to fit the bi-focal lens.

In the end it got too much for me and I left the 4th shop in tears.
What is it that does that to me in this country? Pure frustration and getting sick of having to fight for what I want on a daily basis.
How easy would it be to get on a plane and go home to have this sorted out by people that I can understand and trust. That's not going to happen, so today I need to put on my brave face and take the 'Mac man' back to some other shops to try on more frames. Which is not a easy task, he spent yesterday saying I don't like that one it's too small, big, ugly, girly or uncomfortable, it was only the bribe for ice-cream that got us through the day.
Stay tuned for tomorrows update. I feel there maybe more ice-cream on the menu today.

3 comments:

Mark said...

megan feel your anguish you can get glasses no the met also you could get a second opinion from a trus ted optomitrist over here on the script

Michelle said...

Oh Megan I feel your frustration!
Hang in there girl and don't settle for anything less than want you want. Hope your next visit is better.
Blessings : )

Teresa said...

I've been there too, with the orthodontist. Contradicting himself, the mouth appliance falling out every two weeks (supposed to be semi-permanent!), and then scolding ME for not being able to keep it in...well long story short, I wound up going back to the US for J's mouth treatment. She got a new appliance, I got the shock of my life when the dentist asked me what "cosmetic work" I had done on her (NONE! Leftover glue from the first appliance), and we are now doing telecommunting orthodontistry. Fingers crossed....I hope that you find the frames you want!
Teresa