Monday, July 5, 2010

Empty Nest


Four days have now passed since Eliza left Chennai to head home to Australia. The house seems strange...quiet, tidy, empty. Not that she made a lot of noise, but having one less around to argue over the TV does make a difference. I never imagined that our 13 year old daughter would be living 8779 kms away from our family. It's only for 11 weeks and we will be reunited again. All living back together as a family, a new start in our new home.
My heart also feels empty. A month ago I would have said, and probably did, that it would be nice to have a break from our teenager. Be careful what you wish for. It doesn't feel right. We can speak on Skype a couple of times a day, but it's not the same. Prying information out of her over the wonders of the internet doesn't work.


I am so proud of her for having the courage to make this big step in her life. Repatriating is hard, doing it alone without her family around who have been through the same life changes in 2 years is tricky. But I am sure with the love and support of our family at home she will be ok. We are so lucky to have the best parents who have taken on the challenge of being her primary caregivers till we get home. I know I have trained Mum and Dad well. They raised me and we all survived, so Eliza should be a piece of cake.
So, to my beautiful girl, we have given you wings to fly. Soar like an Eagle my love, you have the world at you feet. Don't waste a second of the amazing opportunities that lay ahead of you. Embrace your new school and the friendships, old and new.
We love you

2 comments:

Kath and Greg plus 4 said...

Now there's a Mum with a saddened heart. I hope you are having an OK day Megs.
Apparently Eliza and Sarah had a play date at Stephenson St yesterday! I've been out of the loop due to my 4 night shifts so i'll have to have a chat to our teenager tonight. I'll see if i have any more luck with information!
Have a happy day.
Kath xo

Michelle said...

Gorgeous photo............... : )