Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Indian Plumbing At Its Best


I thought I would share with you my Godsend in the kitchen. Apart from Margaret that is!

Having hot water in the kitchen is rather unheard of in India. And when we moved into the apartment there wasn't a hot water service in the kitchen and after the kettle blew up from over use, I thought it was time to get onto a plumber and get get one installed. HA. I should of known there was to be a "Drama", after all this is India. The landlord was not too happy about us putting one in as it would spoil the look of the kitchen and there would have to be holes drilled in the wall.... But I wasn't going to let that put a stop to having clean, germ free dishes. Margaret knew of a plumber/ electrician ( is that possible?) and we got him in to install it. We also thought that while he was here we would get a exhaust fan installed in the laundry as it gets VERY hot in there. So after many phone calls we got him to the house and we agreed on a price and I left him to it.............



and this is what I came home to.....

A somewhat very unattractive installation, now I see what the landlord meant, but running hot water, ahhhhh, it certainly doesn't take much to please me anymore.

And the exhaust fan?????

Yet to be installed!!!!!!!!
Yes it's true never pay a tradesman in India until he has completed the job that he "said' he would do.

5 comments:

Kath and Greg plus 4 said...

Wonder what Mr A Bate would think of your hot water service?

Anonymous said...

Hopefully when you leave some Ex pat will take advantage of all your hard work Megs. Thats if the Landlord doesn't come along a rip everything out. Greal blogging and always looking forward to the next installment. By the way, i have tasted that fruit and it tastes as good as it smells. DON'T GO THERE SISTER.

The Low Family said...

Nice Plumbing...i am lucking that i used another plumber when my hot water broke down recently...well at least my hot water is outside i suppose.
Loved the look of the fruit...not! and the smell wouldn't make it appealing anyway, i think i had thst smell in the bottom of my pantry once..The Indian people must really like the taste of bananas, but i would just go and buy a banana i think.
Love to all. Karyn xx

N and G said...

Don't lose heart Megan!! As we've both learnt here, the fan guy WILL turn up up sooner or later - most likely a Sat night at about 9-30 with a look on his face that says "weren't you expecting me!!" ...And then ask to borrow your tools..
You've got to laugh or you'd go crazy wouldn't you?

The Webbs said...

At least you have HOT water now, must make life in the kitchen much easier!!! For Margaret i mean...