Sunday, May 16, 2010

Turning The Old Into New.

Once we knew we were coming to Chennai to live, I had my mind set on getting our lounge suite recovered. I had found out that it was very cheap to get done here, so why not make the most of the amazing fabrics and cheap labour.
My first challenge was choosing the fabric. So many beautiful patterns and colours. I don't know how many shops I went into to peruse their selections, but I just couldn't decide. I finally decided on a very boring natural linen that I can mix and match other colours with.
Of course trying to have things done here comes with the headaches and frustrations that only India can confront you with. I sat and waited for days........waiting, waiting, waiting for the upholsterer to arrive. Many phone calls later and lies on his behalf, with me telling him things like, "You are skating on thin ice" and "You are giving me much tension" he finally arrived along with his two lackeys to tackle my lounge suite.
My house looked a bomb had gone off in it for two days while the cut and sewed their hearts out to get the job done.
The end product is great, love it.
Was it worth all the headaches???
ask me in a week.

This is the machine they used to do most of the sewing.

Mac had himself a nice little cubby house while they were working away.
The finished product.

Now to keep the kids off it and keep it clean.

2 comments:

The Webbs said...

Worth the waiting I'd say Megs it looks fantastic...

Kath and Greg plus 4 said...

"I like very much madam! I hope your tension has gone!"
Looking forward to seeing the couch in the good room at Lakeside Blv.